the Demilitarization Agreement
June 21st, 1999
Following is the full text of the accord on the demilitarisation
of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA, known in Kosovo by its initials UCK)
signed by KLA chief Hashim Thaqi and KFOR commander Lieutenant-General
Mike Jackson in Pristina:
UNDERTAKING OF DEMILITARISATION AND TRANSFORMATION BY THE UCK
1. This Undertaking provides for a ceasefire by the UCK, their disengagement from the zones of conflict, subsequent demilitarisation and reintegration into civil society, in accordance with the terms of UNSCR 1244 and taking account of the obligations agreed to at Rambouillet and the public commitments made by the Kosovar Albanian Rambouillet delegation.
2. The UCK undertake to renounce the use of force, to comply with the directions of the Commander of the international security force in Kosovo (COMKFOR), and where applicable the head of the interim civil administration for Kosovo, and to resolve peacefully any questions relating to the implementation of this undertaking.
3. The UCK agree that the International Security Presence (KFOR) and the international civil presence will continue to deploy and operate without hindrance within Kosovo and that KFOR has the authority to take all necessary action to establish and maintain a secure environment for all citizens of Kosovo and otherwise carry out its mission.
4. The UCK agrees to comply with all of the obligations of this Undertaking and to ensure that with immediate effect all UCK forces in Kosovo and in neighbouring countries will observe the provisions of this Undertaking, will refrain from all hostile or provocative acts, hostile intent and freeze military movement in either direction across international borders or the boundary between Kosovo and other parts of the FRY, or any other actions inconsistent with the spirit of UNSCR 1244. The UCK in Kosovo agree to commit themselves publicly to demilitarise in accordance with paragraphs 22 and 23, refrain from activities which jeopardise the safety of international governmental and non-governmental personnel including KFOR, and to facilitate the deployment and operation of KFOR.
5. For purposes of this Undertaking, the following expressions shall have the meanings as described below:
a) The UCK includes all personnel and organisations within Kosovo, currently under UCK control, with a military or paramilitary capability and any other groups or individuals so designated by Commander KFOR (COMKFOR).
b) "FRY Forces" includes all of the FRY and Republic of Serbia personnel and organisations with a military capability. This includes regular army and naval forces, armed civilian groups, associated paramilitary groups, air forces, national guards, border police, army reserves, military police, intelligence services, Ministry of Internal Affairs, local, special, riot and anti-terrorist police, and any other groups or individuals so designated by Commander KFOR (COMKFOR).
c) The Ground Safety Zone (GSZ) is defined as a 5-kilometre zone that extends beyond the Kosovo province border into the rest of FRY territory. It includes the terrain within that 5-kilometre zone.
d) Prohibited weapons are any weapon 12.7mm or larger, any anti-tank or anti-aircraft weapons, grenades, mines or explosives, automatic and long barrelled weapons.
6. The purposes of this Undertaking are as follows:
a) To establish a durable cessation of hostilities.
b) To provide for the support and authorisation of the KFOR and in particular to authorise the KFOR to take such actions as are required, including the use of necessary force in accordance with KFORs rules of engagement, to ensure compliance with this Undertaking and protection of the KFOR, and to contribute to a secure environment for the international civil implementation presence, and other international organisations, agencies, and non-governmental organisations and the civil populace.
7. The actions of the UCK shall be in accordance with this Undertaking. "The KFOR" commander in consultation, where appropriate, with the interim civil administrator will be the final authority regarding the interpretation of this Undertaking and the security aspects of the peace settlement it supports. His determinations will be binding on all parties and persons.
Cessation of Hostilities
8. With immediate effect on signature the UCK agrees to comply with this Undertaking and with the directions of COMKFOR. Any forces which fail to comply with this Undertaking or with the directions of COMKFOR will be liable to military action as deemed appropriate by COMKFOR.
9. With immediate effect on signature of this Undertaking all hostile acts by the UCK will cease. The UCK Chief of General Staff undertakes to issue clear and precise instructions to all units and personnel under his command, to ensure contact with the FRY forces is avoided and to comply fully with the arrangements for bringing this Undertaking into effect. He will make announcements immediately following final signature of this Undertaking, which will be broadcast regularly through all appropriate channels to assist in ensuring that instructions to maintain this Undertaking reach all the forces under his command and are understood by the public in general.
10. The UCK undertakes and agrees in particular:
a) To cease the firing of all weapons and use of explosive devices.
b) Not to place any mines, barriers or checkpoints, nor maintain any observation posts or protective obstacles.
c) The destruction of buildings, facilities or structures is not permitted. It shall not engage in any military, security, or training related activities, including ground, or air defence operations, in or over Kosovo or GSZ, without the prior express approval of COMKFOR.
d) Not to attack, detain or intimidate any civilians in Kosovo, nor shall they attack, confiscate or violate the property of civilians in Kosovo.
11. The UCK agrees not to conduct any reprisals, counter-attacks, or any unilateral actions in response to violations of the UNSCR 1244 and other extant agreements relating to Kosovo. This in no way denies the right of self-defence.
12. The UCK agrees not to interfere with those FRY personnel that return to Kosovo to conduct specific tasks as authorised and directed by COMKFOR.
13. Except as approved by COMKFOR, the UCK agrees that its personnel in Kosovo will not carry weapons of any type:
a) Within 2 kilometres of VJ and MUP assembly areas;
b) Within 2 kilometres of the main roads and the towns upon them listed at Appendix A;
c) Within 2 kilometres of external borders of Kosovo;
d) In any other areas designated by COMKFOR.
14. Within 4 days of signature of this Undertaking:
a) The UCK will close all fighting positions, entrenchments, and checkpoints on roads, and mark their minefields and booby traps.
b) The UCK Chief of General Staff shall report in writing completion of the above requirement to COMKFOR and continue to provide weekly detailed written status reports until demilitarisation, as detailed in the following paragraphs, is complete.
15. With immediate effect the UCK will cease the
movement of armed bodies into neighbouring countries. All movement of armed
bodies into Kosovo will be subject to the prior approval of COMKFOR.
Monitoring the Cessation of Hostilities
16. The authority for dealing with breaches of this Undertaking rests with COMKFOR. He will monitor and maintain and if necessary enforce the cessation of hostilities.
17. The UCK agrees to co-operate fully with KFOR and the interim civil administration for Kosovo. The Chief of the General Staff of the UCK will ensure that prompt and appropriate action is taken to deal with any breaches of this Undertaking by his forces as directed by COMKFOR.
18. Elements of KFOR will be assigned to maintain contact with the UCK and will be deployed to its command structure and bases.
19. KFOR will establish appropriate control at
designated crossing points into Albania and the FYROM.
Joint Implementation Commission (JIC)
20. A JIC will be established in Pristina within 4 days of the signature of this Undertaking. The JIC will be chaired by COMKFOR, and will comprise the senior commanders of KFOR and the UCK, and a representative from the interim civil administration for Kosovo.
21. The JIC will meet as often as required by COMKFOR throughout the implementation of this Undertaking. It may be called without prior notice and representation by the UCK is expected at a level appropriate with the rank of the KFOR chairman. Its functions will include:
a) Ensuring compliance with agreed arrangements for the security and activities of all forces;
b) The investigation of actual or threatened breaches of this Undertaking;
c) Such other tasks as may be assigned to it by COMKFOR in the interests of maintaining the cessation of hostilities.
Demilitarisation and Transformation
22. The UCK will follow the procedures established by COMKFOR for the phased demilitarisation, transformation and monitoring of UCK forces in Kosovo and for the further regulation of their activities. They will not train or organise parades without the authority of COMKFOR.
23. The UCK agrees to the following timetable which will commence from the signature of this Undertaking:
a) Within 7 days, the UCK shall establish secure weapons storage sites, which shall be registered with and verified by the KFOR;
b) Within 7 days the UCK will clear their minefields and booby traps, vacate their fighting positions and transfer to assembly areas as agreed with COMKFOR at the JIC. Thereafter only personnel authorised by COMKFOR and senior Officers of the UCK with their close protection personnel not exceeding 3, carrying side arms only, will be allowed outside these assembly areas.
c) After 7 days automatic small arms weapons not stored in the registered weapons storage sites can only be held inside the authorised assembly areas.
d) After 29 days, the retention of any non automatic long barrelled weapons shall be subject to authorisation by COMKFOR.
e) Within 30 days, subject to arrangements by COMKFOR if necessary, all UCK personnel who are not of local origin, whether or not they are legally within Kosovo, including individual advisors, freedom fighters, trainers, volunteers, and personnel from neighbouring and other States, shall be withdrawn from Kosovo.
f) Arrangements for control of weapons are as follows:(1) Within 30 days the UCK shall store in the registered weapons storage sites all prohibited weapons with the exception of automatic small arms. 30 per cent of their total holdings of automatic small arms weapons will also be stored in these sites at this stage. Ammunition for the remaining weapons should be withdrawn and stored at an approved site authorised by COMKFOR separate from the assembly areas at the same time.
(2) At 30 days it shall be illegal for UCK personnel to possess prohibited weapons, with the exception of automatic small arms within assembly areas, and unauthorised long barrelled weapons. Such weapons shall be subject to confiscation by the KFOR.
(3) Within 60 days a further 30 per cent of automatic small arms, giving a total of 60 per cent of the UCK holdings, will be stored in the registered weapons storage sites.
(4) Within 90 days all automatic small arms weapons will be stored in the registered weapons storage sites. Thereafter their possession by UCK personnel will be prohibited and such weapons will be subject to confiscation by KFOR.
g) From 30 days until 90 days the weapons storage sites will be under joint control of the UCK and KFOR under procedures approved by COMKFOR at the JIC. After 90 days KFOR will assume full control of these sites.
h) Within 90 days all UCK forces will have completed the processes for their demilitarisation and are to cease wearing either military uniforms or insignia of the UCK.
i) Within 90 days the Chief of General Staff UCK shall confirm compliance with the above restrictions in writing to COMKFOR.
24. The provisions of this Undertaking enter into force with immediate effect of its signature by the Kosovar Albanian representative(s).
25. The UCK intends to comply with the terms of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244, and in this context that the international community should take due and full account of the contribution of the UCK during the Kosovo crisis and accordingly give due consideration to:
a) Recognition that, while the UCK and its structures are in the process of transformation, it is committed to propose individual current members to participate in the administration and police forces of Kosovo, enjoying special consideration in view of the expertise they have developed.
b) The formation of an Army in Kosovo on the lines of the US National Guard in due course as part of a political process designed to determine Kosovos future status, taking into account the Rambouillet Accord.
26. This Undertaking is provided in English and Albanian and if there is any doubt as to the meaning of the text the English version has precedence.
OFFERED BY HASHIM THAQI, COMMANDER IN CHIEF UCK
RECEIVED BY LT GEN MIKE JACKSON, COMMANDER KFOR
1) Pec - Lapusnik - Pristina
2) Border - Djakovica - Klina
3) Border - Prizren - Suva Reka - Pristina
4) Djakovica - Orahovac - Lapusnik - Pristina
5) Pec-Djakovica - Prizren - Urosevac - Border
6) Border - Urosevac - Pristina - Podujevo - Border
7) Pristina - Kosovska Mitrovica - Border
8) Kosovka Mitrovica - (Rakos) - Pec
9) Pec - Border with Montenegro (through Rozaj)
10) Pristina - Lisica - Border with Serbia
11) Pristina - Gnjilane - Urosevac
12) Gnjilane - Veliki Trnovac - Border with Serbia;
13) Prizren - Doganovic
© Giovanni Armillotta, 1999